Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Letter to My Abuser.



Dear Carlos,

On Thursday, I hurt this boy name Kyle.  He was a nice boy that treated me with respect.  I hurt him.  I thought I should tell you this because I feel like I am numb to other people’s pain.  And this may have something to do with the abuse I endured in our relationship.  I still think about it, five years later.  I think about the golf club that you used to hit me.  I think about the time you sexually assaulted me in the bathroom of our West Hollywood home.  I think about the time I had to climb out of the third story balcony in our Sandy Bay home to get away from you.  I think about the time you took out a knife.  I think about the time you called my sister to pick me up because you didn’t want to deal with me anymore.  I think about the time Joanna saw my nose and knew that I was getting hit.  I think about my pain.  I think about my inability to love.  My cold heart. 

And maybe this has been me all along.  Maybe I have always had an inability to love.  But I thought I loved you.  I thought you were my soul mate and I would spend the rest of my life with you.  And I couldn’t do it.  I couldn’t marry you.  I had to leave you.  You were going to be the death of me.  If I stayed with you, I would have died.  And I wanted to live.  I wanted to go back home to my family, to real love, to the people that love me.  You didn’t love me.  You hated me.  I don’t know why, but you did.  And I tried to convince you otherwise, but that just made you angrier.  And I even helped you find your father.  I knew that it would be wonderful.  But you still abused me afterwards. 

I see you have a new person in your life.  I hope she is treated with respect, love and admiration.  Meanwhile, I am alone and happy.  I am unable to love, but I am generally happy with myself.  I don’t know if I will ever be able to love anyone.  Maybe that life is not for me and I am destined for something else, something greater.  God knows I try to best at work, school and the gym.  But there is something missing in my life that I have yet to fill.  That is love.  Everyone tells me I am a catch.  Everyone tells me I am brilliant, beautiful, sexy, funny, and just a very nice person.  But I am alone.  And I can help but wonder if that is my fault.  Or your fault.  It’s been five years; one would think I would be over it, but I am not.  I am not over it and I don’t think I will ever be over it.  I am okay with that.  I think I just need to be more honest with myself and feel this pain. 

I am a survivor.  And I have every right to feel this way.  I have every right to be sad, and to want to be alone because of what I went through with you.  But I can change that and I will.  You no longer control me and I don’t love you anymore.  I want to find someone that will treat me like the catch that I am.  I want to be someone’s queen.  Not yours though.  And today I will start being okay with that.  Today I will make the change for the better because you no longer own me. 

I forgive you.  I am letting go.  Carlos, you are forgiven. 

RA

No comments:

Post a Comment